We expect that all students will use common sense and good taste in their conservative dress for school. Even though the community norms have become more relaxed in terms of clothing and increased levels of body exposure, these standards will be enforced to maintain an appropriate and focused educational setting. Student dress should reflect the notion that school is a place of business where students are learning both academic and social skills.
Failure to adhere to the following guidelines will result in a warning (first time), lunch detention, Saturday School or suspension. In extreme cases, students may be sent home to change. Decisions regarding the appropriateness of clothing, footwear and accessories will be made by administration and student advisors.
The following dress code will be in effect at Windsor High. Students in all grades will be prohibited from wearing:
- Clothing and accessories that promote alcohol, tobacco, drug usage or which display weapons or violence and which cause or are likely to cause a disruption within the school environment.
- Clothing and accessories that contain vulgar, derogatory or suggestive diagrams, pictures, slogans or words that may be interpreted as racially, religiously, ethnically, or sexually offensive and which cause or are likely to cause a disruption within the school environment.
- Low-cut tank tops, tube tops, mesh tops, sheer tops, halters, or bare midriff tops. Shirts cannot have necklines that are lower than the straight line from top of underarm across to opposite underarm. Display of cleavage is not permitted. Tops may not expose the midriff, and clothing must cover undergarments at all times.
- Shorts or skirts that extend higher than four (4) inches above the knee. Short shorts, tight shorts, and revealing shorts may not be worn.
- Clothing symbolic of gangs or disruptive groups associated with threatening behavior, harassment or discrimination and which cause or are likely to cause a disruption within the school environment.
- Sagging pants, pants worn low on the hip so as to reveal underwear or skin. Clothing must cover undergarments at all times.
- Red shirts, tops, coats, belts, shoelaces, lanyards/key chains, hair bands/braids, ribbons, or bracelets. Items with reference to North, South, West or East Side. Clothing stressing a "blue" theme is also prohibited. All bandannas, regardless of color. Belt buckles with any letters or numbers.