Click to view the Project Success website
Project SUCCESS is a school-based program that works to reduce the factors that put students at risk for substance abuse, while working to enhance the factors that will protect students from risks. This is accomplished by placing highly trained counselors in schools to provide a full range of substance abuse prevention and early intervention services. Strategies include:
Project SUCCESS Counselors work with students individually and in small groups; conduct classroom presentations; train and consult on prevention issues with students and families needing additional services.
- Giving students information to increase their understanding about the harmful consequences of using alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- Providing services to students who are experiencing stress (such as relationship issues, friendâ€™s substance use, etc.) that if not resolved might lead to substance use.
- Teaching students skills for resisting peer pressure, responding to conflicts, managing anger, and avoiding and coping with other stressful situations.
- Referring students, and their families who need, to services in the school and community.
- Working with school and community groups on activities to promote alcohol, tobacco, and drug free lifestyles for teens.